[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:29:46 +0200 CEST

> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > it's beautifully designed and is just as nice
> > or nicer as the Be API, and much, much more complete.
>
> Well, while I've been exposed to the Qt API, I actually found many
> holes in its design, especially when it comes to multi-threading,
> inter
> -app communication, asynchronous messaging, etc. The whole UI must
> run
> in a single thread in Qt, for example.
> This is where the Be API shines (if you disregard multi user
> problems),
> and Qt leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully they'll improve upon
> this
> in the future.

Well if we manage to make a good Qt port we might actually get
trolltech interested to take things from us too :)

> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > By now, VLC has switched over to Qt and the GUI is much better.
>
> Actually, I don't like the Qt UI of VLC a lot. I think it's clumsy,
> overloaded, and hides useful functionality behind too many clicks.
> The
> only thing I like better there is the easily available aspect ratio
> setting. At least I don't consider this as a good example.

Exactly. Takes more space, I don't care bout colored button, just get
me the good old black play/stop/rwd symbols, and the volume control is
just plain ugly.
But that's not really Qt, mostly VLC dev's choice.
Still, what I've seen is much much better and integrated than the
equivalent in GTK. I have to use Grisbi (GTK accounting app) in windows
and it really has usability issues (when in a form with an open drop-
down you must click on the validate button once, click outsite and
click again on it...

> And having seen the Qt VLC sources, I know there is just another hole
> in the Qt API to be filled (fast/native QImages, and support for
> video
> overlays). Not sure if they did already improve this for 4.5.

Eh :)

> I definitely see value in a Qt port, as it brings Haiku to the
> commercially viable platforms easily, and lots of nice apps are using
> Qt. But it's not at a point where it could be a full replacement of
> the
> Be API (or its UI parts), and therefore it'll be hard to make Qt apps
> feel as responsive and native as other apps do, at least when they
> are
> a bit more complex.

I still think the fact it's also C++ and shares some design might
attract devs who'd then discover our own choices.

François.