[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Mesa3D status (mmlr gcc2 magic)

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:08:28 -0500

Alexander von Gluck wrote:
So! We now have a working external Mesa3D running under gcc2 without any Mesa patches thanks to the hard work of mmlr.

http://haiku.mlotz.ch/gcc4_mesa_in_gcc2_haiku.png

mmlr figured out a way to put the gcc4 compiled mesa into the gcc2 haiku build process and come out with a libGL.so consisting of:

<Haiku gcc2 opengl kit> + <Mesa gcc4 binaries> + <haiku gcc4 libstd + libstdc++>

This process works for gcc2 builds. You can try it here:
http://pub.haikufire.com/mesa/haiku-mesa-gcc2.image.gz

Here is the general process:
 - We build a gcc4 mesa optional package
- We extract c++ symbols that the haiku build gcc2 linking was complaining about from the gcc4 libstd + libstdc++ and create a mini gcc4 standard static library.

- During the gcc2 image build we link in the mini gcc4 standard libraries from the optional package (around 500KB extra).

One pitfall of this is we are seeing http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7785 when we try to run the OpenCL preference pane under gcc2. GLTeapot seems to work just fine however.

In essence we only need one mesa optional package per architecture.

I am working through automating mmlr's black magic in the Mesa build script and hope to have something polished soon.

Thanks! (and thanks to mmlr for the idea and figuring out how to do it!!)

 -- Alex

Awesome update, Amazing progress your making, big props to mmlr to !!

Sean