[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. powers (was [VOTE] Haiku flier funding)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:42:57 -0800

Howdy,

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What's unfortunate is that everyone knew that I was going to call for a vote
(I announced it on the mailing list), and it's like they waited until I put
all the effort and actually called the vote before actually killing it. What
a waste of time.

Actually, I had always thought the vote was going to boil down to how
many fliers we printed, and what kind of paper we used... I guess I
didn't follow the mailing list closely enough :P

Since we did indicated in our proposed budget that we would spend at
least $100/year on marketing materials (which translated pretty much
to fliers), and then there were discussions to raise this to as much
as $500/year (per the budget modifications you proposed) - I'm not
sure why we would then initiate a vote to spend nothing at this point.
That seems kind of pointless, and suggests that defining a budget was
*also* a waste of time.

As I clearly stated on my very first email on the topic of the flier reprint, I don't want to put my time into something that I don't know whether it will be put to use or not, so I wanted confirmation that the printing was going to be funded. A WIP budget is no confirmation.

Since the budget is not finalized yet, the only way to know whether the printing was going to be paid for or not was either ask Haiku Inc. or call for a vote. I presented all the facts including costs on the mailing list and asked Haiku Inc., but I never got a straight YES or NO answer. So I called for a vote.

But you are right: I really had to waste a lot of time; I was hoping to get a "don't worry about the printing; we'll pay for it, so please work on it" response. It is quite amazing that after almost two weeks and probably more than one hundred emails there is still no answer to such a simple question. As I said on another email of mine today, something is terribly wrong in how Haiku approaches contributions...

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki