[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. powers (was [VOTE] Haiku flier funding)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:12:25 -0800

Howdy,

Oliver Tappe wrote:
Just look at what happened with the voting process about the fliers: even though Jorge has prepared it meticulously, none of the answer he's got actually gave what he asked for.

The is a reason for this: the arguing by Haiku Inc. BOD members to the effect that it is solely up to the BOD how the funds are used have virtually invalidates this kind of vote. You really can't expect people to participate on what has been portrayed as an illegitimate call for vote by BOD members and/or core devs.

What's unfortunate is that everyone knew that I was going to call for a vote (I announced it on the mailing list), and it's like they waited until I put all the effort and actually called the vote before actually killing it. What a waste of time.

How could we expect any decision body to work, if the community doesn't react to these votes as required?

You can't let people start a vote, kill it after the fact and then claim that the process does not work. The voting process may need refinement, but it is definitely viable; it works for other things, so there is no reason it cannot work for expenditures.

What needs to happen is an official sanction of the process that clarifies who can initiate votes and on what.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki