[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. powers (was [VOTE] Haiku flier funding)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:41:28 -0800

Hi Axel,

Moved this to a more appropriate thread.

Axel Dörfler wrote:
As Urias pointed out, Haiku Inc. always had complete control over its very own funds.

That might have always been the de facto situation, but it was never explicitly stated anywhere before.

If that is the case, then that means that I am not supposed to initiate a vote such as the one I started today.

Every one is allowed to give input.

Funny you say that, because it is not possible to influence or provide input into something that is being discussed in a closed mailing list.

Haiku Inc. just consists of a few contributors that are willing to do the job, nothing more, nothing less. They take care of a particular area within the Haiku project, much like everyone else does.

That is not true. Haiku Inc.'s operates in a closed mailing list with participation of non-BOD members as well, all of whom have been more or less handpicked in a "boys' club" fashion. There are people outside of this list that do as much or maybe even more than these non-BOD members, but they are not given the opportunity to participate in the closed Haiku Inc. discussions and thus cannot influence them. So it is not as simple and/or straightforward as you paint it.

This is the same "boys' club" mentality that the original admin group had. In fact, if you look at what Haiku Inc. is now and how it operates, it is more or less as if the once supposedly dissolved admin group had just regrouped itself behind the smoke screen of the non-profit. About the same people and same modus operandi, just in a different place and under a different name.

If you don't trust them for whatever reason, that's entirely your problem.

It is not about trust; it is about the hypocrisy claiming to strive for as much transparency and openness as possible when that is obviously not the case, and the constant contradictions of Haiku Inc. one day saying they don't have any authority and the next day claiming some discretionary powers that seemed to have popped out of air.

You're free to help, like everyone else, and you even take that opportunity from time to time.

In my experience, that's not true. You guys are always saying that you need help and that anyone is welcome to give a hand. But in reality I can point out multiple instances where I have (recently) offered to help in very specific areas such as creating the missing financial reports, administering emails, handling media related inquiries from the website, etc., and in none of those cases -- NONE -- did any of the Haiku Inc. folks accept my offer; I got either a "we can handle it" reply or no response at all. I can also point to at least one instance of a professional (a certified CPA specialized in non-profits) who offered help to do the finances/taxes for Haiku Inc. but that was also not taken advantage of.

To me, Haiku Inc. continues to be more of a bottleneck than an enabler capable of empowering others.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki