[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:57:20 -0800

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 08:56:17AM -0600, kallisti5 wrote:

> At the end of the day the argument is the following:
>
>   * Should system users be able to install their own packaged software
> only
>     for their use?
>
> If yes, then ~/config should be managed by PM.
> If no, ~/config shouldn't be managed by PM.

You must have been missing a lot of the discussion... (:-)) [Not surprising,
given
the way it ballooned.]

Nobody is suggesting that there shouldn't be a place for users to install their
own packages.  The question is whether that place needs to be ~/config.

Packages have to be written new, and have no legacy as to where they
need to operate from, so this might as well be a mount point such as
~/packaged or ~/config/packaged, leaving ~config for its original
function (and for people like me who have a lot of hard-to-move stuff
there!).

        -- Pete --