[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Bootstrap Architecture

Maxim Sokhatsky <maxim.sokhatsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone comment, correct or wish something on it:
>
> http://synrc.com/haiku/haiku-bootstrap.htm
>
> I want to describe current state of things before start doing
> something.

What exactly do you plan on doing there, anyway?

I have a few comments, nothing serious, though:
* It's BFS in the Haiku world, it's only called BeFS in Linux as they
already had an old unused file system called BFS a.k.a. Boot File
System.
* Locating and starting haiku_loader is not the main but the sole
purpose of the stage 1 boot loader. With other firmwares such as U-
Boot, the haiku_loader is executed directly, os there is no stage 1
boot loader anymore.
* The purpose of the stage 2 boot loader is to load the kernel, and all
modules needed for booting. It also serves as a platform abstraction
layer that tries to keep the kernel clean from things like BIOS
programming for the most part.

Also see:
http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/user/how_to_get_haiku_booted

I'm also pretty sure that I wrote a newsletter article about that in
the OpenBeOS days, but I can't find it anymore.

Bye,
   Axel.