[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:16 +0100, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> "Euan Kirkhope" <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Wireless Lan should be on before IPv6 IMHO.
>
> That's ultimately the decision of the student that wants to take over a
> certain task. Of course we could vote against a certain project, but
> IPv6 won't hurt us :-)
>
> > On 18/03/2008, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Should IPv6 support be in this year's list? Unless I'm mistaken,
> > > that was
> > >  (and still is) Hugo's task, and we even reported it as successful,
> > > right?
>
> I reported him to be successful, but that doesn't mean his task is
> entirely done. I haven't heard from Hugo in a while, but I still hope
> he will deliver something one day. But if another student wants to do
> it, I won't object, as waiting for someone to do something is never a
> good place in open source development :-)

May I suggest that this time we make it clear that students who do not
bring their projects to full completion within the deadline of GSoC will
not be considered successful and therefore not rewarded (at least not in
full), and that Haiku actually follow through with this?

Otherwise, we set a bad precedent for students and may even make the org
more vulnerable to not being elected in following years.

Cheers,

Koki