[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:41:05 +0000

On 18/03/2008, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

>  Axel Dörfler wrote:
>  > "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > Now that we have been officially accepted, are we going to ask students
>  > > to fix a bug or something similar to make sure they are up to the task?
>  > > If so, we should add this info, plus the list of easy bugs, to the GSoC
>  > > 2008 web page.
>  >
>  > I'm not sure there really is a list of *small* bugs; of course there are
>  > lots of bugs hidden in our code, though :-)

Actually I was referring to this easy task list
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/EasyTasks
which can be added to the GSoC page.

>  > I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to let the students
>  > resolve one or more of the various simpler "TODO" comments distributed
>  > all over the source code. Many of those are easy to do, but might still
>  > require you to become used to our API and coding style.

This sounds even better. :)
Students can pick up the area they want to work on, and starting submitting
a patch to prove they are valid candidate. If they start getting
familiar to our API,
they might also hang around even after GSoC, which is what we actually want.
Shall we put this in the GSoC page too?

>  > "JiSheng Zhang" <jszhang3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > I'm a student all the same, I was just wondering if I can join haiku's
>  > > gsoc
>  > > again this year :P
>  >
>  > I guess students that already participated last year, and did good work
>  > don't need to pass another test to become a candidate, at least ;-)
>

> That's what I was thinking too. Did you want to work on the DV Media
>  Plug-In, JiSheng?

Plug-In or media Add-on? Sorry, just curious :)

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer Engineer