[haiku-development] Re: Gaming in Haiku...

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:04:56 -0700

I tried running "Dominos" (the full-screen BeOS demo) in Haiku. It wouldn't run, because it said there wasn't some kind of Game KIt support. I can play Windowed games, like Circus Linux and others, no problem. But does Haiku lack anything, to do full-screen (non-windowed) games? I tried running IRE "The False Messiah" (an Ultima 6-type gaming engine), but it crashed almost immediately after it the title screen appeared.

I can't seem to find any other examples of full screen games/demos, etc. that will run in Haiku, to test this capability. Do you know of any?

I'm asking, because I am interested in giving Haiku a little more exposure, by having a simple full-screen game written for an arcade machine I am planning to build for a local business, to help increase revenue, in a unique way.

But the point is moot, if Haiku can't do it. I need 3-button mouse support (Left coin, Right coin, and "Fire"), which is already covered in Haiku, as was in BeOS. Audio support is covered as well. Have to make sure music/sound samples are recorded in the right format, otherwise they stutter and glitch like crazy, but that's easy enough... just use the file format of samples that play properly already.

Luposian