[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - An outsider's thoughts

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:37:12 -0700 (PDT)

It's an appealing idea.  RFC822 headers, MIME, base64 decoding,
even multi-line headers and CRLF line separators, it's a giant
nuisance.  I wouldn't be worried about the effect on queries,
because I expect they're broken in that way already. (Whether or
not the first implementation supports on-demand partial message
download, eventually we will not have all parts of the message
on disk available for queries.)

But in practice, would you like it?  That's the head scratcher
for me.  If you could write an application and use it to transform
all your mail messages into your decoded sets ... the majority
of my email has no MIME structure at all, and of the ones that do,
most of it isn't very interesting (html alternative, etc.)
So whatever you do has to work well with the plain emails.

Maybe with a custom filesystem, it's possible to blur the lines
between a directory and a file, and instead of returning EISDIR
on a normal read, you could support read on the message node itself
the way we've been talking about, and also support directory
operations on it.  Wouldn't guess so, but it would make the whole
idea more interesting (if only in the sense where `May you live
in interesting times!' is a curse.)

        Donn