[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 17:01:23 +0530

> 1) The IMAP FS needs to support the regular "remove" operation on file
entries. How this is implemented does not matter, as long as the result of
this operation is that the email is gone from the server. This operation is
not supposed to be revertable.

 "removing" a file from a server is a two step process: AFAIK you cannot
simply delete a mail from an IMAP server, you have to mark it for deletion
and then EXPUNGE. See:
http://deflexion.com/2006/05/imap-way-of-deleting-message . It says here
that EXPUNGE is an expensive operation and it is recommended that users
should not EXPUNGE frequently. Therefore, on deletion it would be better  to
move the file to "trash" and also set the /Deleted flag. There is no comment
on how expensive an EXPUNGE operation is. Of course doing it the way you
described is possible and definitely make more sense however it *may* cause
performance issues.

 >3) The IMAP FS needs to expose the server's Trash folder (note that it may
be named differently) as "trash" folder at it's root directory and it shall
not display it under its real name (like "deleted mail" or whatever).

This might cause a problem. Who will set the trash folder? the user? perhaps
when the user is setting up his account we can check for a folder named
"Trash" and if it doesn't exist, we can ask the user to specify the trash
folder.

Also regarding your point about "strikethrough mails". This should not cause
problems if all the /Deleted mails are in the Trash folder. They wouldn't
interfere with your usual mails.

The IMAP mechanism for deletion is messy and causes problems across clients,
See:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89572&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a.

Please reply soon :)

Regards,