[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

Quoth Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> just as it is working at the moment. The client trigger the complete
> message download (using an ioctrl) and get notified when it is done then
> the client just read the cached message from the fs.

I didn't understand that.  Client?  In the following you mention
a "quick cat" - is that a client of the kind you mean, or are these
special ioctls you mention that cat would need some other application
to have done ahead of time?  I guess I'm wondering if what you have
in mind is a filesystem at all, in the sense that Stephan described
earlier.  It would be no wonder that Anshul is a little confused
over what an IMAPFS calls for, given such radically different ideas.

>    As proposed later
> trigger the download in a read operation is a very, very bad idea because
> this blocks the reader till the message is downloaded! waiting for a quick
> cat till 10mb attachment is downloaded seems horrible to me ;)

It's horrible only if you didn't want the 10Mb attachment.  It's
the same as any network file system, we bear the cost of the data
transfer at the time the data is needed, because there isn't any
better time.

        Donn