[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 20:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>,
> ... (except I don't
> get what you mean by folder's trash, just use the volume's trash)

When I wrote "folder", I meant "IMAP folder".  As I see it, the IMAP
"flag \Delete" and "EXPUNGE" are semantically similar to "move file
to Trash" and "empty trash" with a Trash for each IMAP folder.

You may understand better than I, how volumes would relate to
IMAP folders - seems like it would either be 1) one volume per
IMAP folder, or less likely 2) one IMAPFS volume period, for
all folders on all servers.

Given the former, folder's trash and volume's trash would be the
same, and since it preserves the semantics of the IMAP operations,
you don't have to think at all about collisions etc.  You get the
Trash folder more or less "for free" with IMAP, is another way to
look at it, so it's arguably a feature that it's supported for
lower level file deletion (like POSIX remove.)

        Donn