[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:49:16 +0200 (MEST)

Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:34:44 +0200 (MEST) "Axel Dörfler"
> <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [cache]
> Unless you're OK with a "Rebuild Cache"/"Refresh" button/menu item (which
> Beam has BTW), a cache isn't such a help, since you'd have to stat() all
> files anyway. I think a lot can be done by loading a folder more
> intelligently. In list mode one basically only needs a complete directory
> listing to already show the list. The details can be loaded in the
> background, with the currently visible items being prioritized.

Sure. However things like the localizing feature make this quite a bit harder,
unless you're okay with entries that suddenly change their name.
In any case, a cache wouldn't necessarily need a refresh button, as it could be
used only to show a somewhat instant (potentially outdated) view that is
updated on the fly.

> Syscall performance certainly contributes to the slowness, but considering
> that "ls -l" is an order of magnitude faster showing an already cached
> directory of attributeless files, there're obviously other issues as well.

Sure, it just all adds up :-)

> > Iterating over a directory already needs to read in each inode anyway in
> > order to get its stat info sooner or later, and its attributes are usually
> > stored
> > there as well.
> I'm seeing a
>   status_t BEntry::GetAllMetaData(BMessage& data);

Or maybe a:
   status_t BDirectory::GetNextEntryAndMetaData(BMessage& data)
or even a method to retrieve more than one entry at a time (could be done
internally, though).
In any case, getting all meta data might be expensive, if the data is outside
of the inode; if that isn't even shown (attributes can have arbitrary size
even), the effect could be counterproductive. So it might be nice to select
only a certain number of attributes, or even only those of the small data
region.

Bye,
   Axel.