[haiku-development] Re: GSoC Project - Continue the CUPS port

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 01:20:25 +0200

Hi,

Ionut Cristian Paraschiv wrote:
If there is someone who knows what is yet to be implemented at this project, please give me some information. I've looked through the sources, but I haven't figured out this yet.
Thank you!
CUPS is mostly working, I guess most of the basic functionality should compile and run cleanly. Besides the sources already pointed out in this thread, there's a patch at HaikuPorts[1] and there's the GPL source code[2] from ZETA (a previously commercial BeOS distribution).

However, CUPS basically only implements general printer driver management, not the actual printer support. A lot of the functionality in CUPS is already supported by our current print_server & transport add ons. The interesting parts (taking a closer look at the ZETA implementation) is in foomatic[3], which is a database of printer descriptions (it uses an XML database converted to PPD[4] files) for describing the supported printers and their features.

The real interesting part, and what ZETA used CUPS/foomatic for, is the actual printer drivers. Most of them use Ghostscript[5] backends to convert Postscript to the output format used by the printer.