[haiku-development] Re: GSoC

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:01:05 -0500

Karan Poddar wrote:
Hi,

I am an Undergrad student at IIIT-H <http://iiit.ac.in/>, India. I wanted to take part in GSoC 2014 and was searching for projects which interests me. For the past year, I have been using Qt in my B. Tech project. I have worked on CUDA during my internship at CERN.

About my projects:

   *

      Error Detection and Error Correction for Indian Languages -
      Statistical models for error detection and correction is not
      suitable for Indian Languages as huge corpus is not available
      for them. A system based on the idea that errors and mistakes
      follows a pattern is being designed. It is a learning system
      which dynamically implements a weighted distance. Tools Used:
      C++, SRILM, Java, Crawler4j

   *

      Book Reader for Blind - Working to develop a system which will
      help blind people read books, in their local language, using a
      scanner. It involves interactive GUI development, image
      processing, and mobile app development. Tools Used: C++, Qt,
      Android SDK

   *

      Optimization and Parallelization of AliRoot (during CERN
      internship)- AliRoot is ALICE’s offline simulation tool. The
      project was to do memory and performance optimization using
      various tools and scripts developed under this project. The
      project also involved working on CUDA-based parallel version of
      Hough Transform used for track reconstruction. Tools Used:
      Valgrind, CUDA, Python, C++

   *

      Triggers and Reactors using DataPath - Using DataPath, Amazon’s
      own technology, implemented and deployed triggers on their
      databases. It involved learning a completely different
      technology with minimal resources. This was done during
      internship at Amazon.com. It also involved maintaining team’s
      section of pipeline. Tools Used: Java and many Amazon’s internal
      tools & technologies

   *

      Reverse Image Search Engine - The idea of the project is to
      build an Image-based Search Engine which can retrieve images
      similar to the query image. Images are represented in form of
      visual words extracted using different scale and rotation
      invariant features. An Inverted index is created for faster
      retrieval. Tools Used: Matlab, Image Processing Libraries

   *
      *Graphics API Design - *Developed an OpenGL like graphics API
      having Graphics pipeline functions from modeling, viewing to
      viewport clipping.

   *
      *Image Processing - *Implemented Image Processing Algorithms
      like Edge Detection, Template Matching, Image Compression,
      Histogram Algorithms, etc. using Matlab and C++.

   *
      *Implemented - *Carrom game, Spider Shooting game and a 3D
      Rail/Station model with 6 degree camera using OpenGL

My complete Skill Set:
GNU/C++, Java, CUDA, Erlang, Scheme, Python, Basic Shell (Bash), AliRoot, MySQL, MS-Access, Web2py, HTML/XHTML, PHP, Javascript(basic), Drupal, CSS, Socket Programming, JSP, HTML5, CSS 3, Matlab, Octave, Qt, Android SDK, OpenGL, Glade, Pthreads, OpenMP, OpenCV.

As you can see from my work that my interests extend to various topics. I don't want to miss out a project where I could have contributed more. Hence, I ask for help to discuss and form a proposal which can be beneficial to me as well. I generally include a new technology in every project I work. Hoping to do the same this time also.

* Thanks,
Karan Poddar
*200901059, IIIT-H
+91-9030735037

There is a GSOC idea for porting and updating the qt4.8 port to qt5, and a QT port recipe on haikuports at bitbucket. Considering your interests and experience, qt might be up your alley

Sean