[haiku-development] Re: GSOC valgrind port

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:15:40 +0100 CET
"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Valgrind would be pretty cool to have. However, I have no idea how
> hard it would be to port it.

I currently utilise Valgrind in a research capacity (we hack to a
limited extent on the coregrind internals and develop our own tools).

To port coregrind one would ideally be comfortable working with image
syscall knowledge, etc (though I could be reading more into this than
there really is).

> I would think it might be very well possible that it does not take 3
> month to port. Maybe you could have some additional suggestions what
> you might do if that proves to be correct :-)

IIRC a group from Sun estimated around 6-12 months to port Valgrind to
Solaris. This probably included a very thorough error checking and
porting a good deal of the tools across.

To my mind a better goal would be to get a couple of console apps
running through the null (no instrumentation) tool. Anything after that
would be a bonus. If there's a lot of time available to hack on it,
then you might be able to get it done, but I'd have a quick dive
through the coregrind code beforehand just to reassure yourself.

If the project is taken up I'd be happy to help wherever possible.

- Danny