[haiku-development] Re: GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) + Nvidia video cards

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:58:47 -0700

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM, depechemode303@xxxxxxxxx
<depechemode303@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Haiku has good performances, is multithreads, supports multiprocessors if I
> don't make mistake, so I'm thinking that this system could be usefull for
> distributing computing / distributed calulus / rendering 3D of large amounts
> of
> data... Invidia video cards allow this in projects like CUDA too.
>
> What do you think?
> Is Haiku compatible with this work?

Haiku doesn't have the CUDA SDK (libcuda) - you may have to contact
nVidia and ask if they're willing to port that to Haiku (but first,
maybe ask them if they would port their closed source 3d drivers to
Haiku :)

OpenCL might be a better solution for Haiku - as it isn't tied to a
specific brand of card. There currently is no port of OpenCL to Haiku
that I know of - and I wouldn't know how much effort it would be.

These technologies are becoming pretty useful for distributing
computing, and heavy lifting in computational software - but Haiku
doesn't even have hardware 3d acceleration yet, so I'm not sure how
reasonable it would be to expect support for CUDA or STREAM support in
the near future either.

- Urias