[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 18:29, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Don't forget the clang frontend (http://clang.llvm.org/).

I didn't (the saner error messages are Clang-only), it's just that
Clang can't do C++ yet, while llvm-gcc can.

> And the fact
> that llvm/clang is BSD is also important in case a company like Intel
> would like to make special optimizations.

I did mention the license; and AMD was quite keen on BeOS as well.

> We should still
> be able to make a case for Haiku to them as the future is multi
> multi-core and pervasive multithreading is more relevant than ever.

You see, this is not what's going to sell Haiku. The smart API we
inherited from BeOS and coming up with ways to make the multithreaded
programming model easier to use. From this point of view, we're
halfway there :) Quite frankly, I don't believe C++ is the language
that will pave the future of parallel programming, specially not when
improvements in compiler technology (including JIT) are narrowing
performance gap between static and dynamic programming languages.
Microsoft got this and came up with CIL as a bridge between any
programming languages that target .Net; Sun almost got it but *really*
blew it when they tried to make Java too many things at once and
effectively came up with a rewrite-frequently-debug-everywhere
operating-system-in-a-VM.

LLVM is low level enough to let us almost taste the bare metal while
being high level enough not to force us to grind our teeth against it.
And its bitstream representation is realms beyond the JVM instruction
set or CIL.

> btw how is that scheduler coming along?

ATM I'm just too busy with bureaucratic stuff regarding having
finished college and finding myself a job, as I'm currently
unemployed, and I've just recovered from YET ANOTHER sore throat,
making this the 4th time this year. I might have to undergo surgery
(tonsillectomy) -- and yes, I'm thrice as old as the recommended age
for undergoing this procedure.

Aye.

In other words... I can't give any solid dates with a honest straight
face, but I'm targeting mid-Q408 as I get my Real Life(tm) sorted out.

Cheers,
A.