[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:56:21 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's not the impression I got... I got the impression that R2 would
> not necessarily provide *any* backward compatibility with BeOS R5 or
> Haiku R1... thus, one set of gcc4-compiled libraries.

The plan is to have gcc2 compatibility libs in R2. We don't plan to
break compatibility for gcc2 apps in the R2 time frame.

[...]
> > There should be no issues with running the gcc4 apps on gcc2 Haiku
> > because
> > the OS can work with both gcc 2&4 apps.
> Only if there are both gcc2 and gcc4 libraries present on the OS.

Exactly, and that's what we should aim for later (ie. after alpha 1).
For R2, the gcc2 libraries will just stay the same (but will of course
talk the current app_server/whatever protocol), while the gcc4
libraries will not only become the default, but will also break
compatibility with previous gcc4 libs.

Bye,
   Axel.