[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [haiku-doc] Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:31:19 +0100 CET

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It looks like this po/pot thing is the way it's
> done all around. It seems to be the best(?) way
> to work with versioning of repositories.

I don't think these software localization methods,
formats and tools are suitable at all for translation
of larger bodies of coherent text, as in prose or
user manuals or whatever.

> There are big projects relying on distributed
> translation also using that system.

I'm not disputing that gettext and po/pot work
for internationalization of software with sets
of unordered, unrelated sets of strings.

Translation of coherent texts can not and should
not be done by putting every sentence in some kind
of database or lookup file.

Languages can have very different characteristics.

> There's _got_ to be a working solution for us out
> there that we don't have to start our own thing.

I wonder what professional translators use.
Those who translate books or subtitle DVDs.

I see problems with lots of piecemeal translation
done by different people, over extended periods of
time, with translations being incomplete and
unsynchronized most of the time.

(The paragraph versioning I suggested in a previous
post might work to estimate -how- incomplete and
unsynchronized a set of translations are. How much
is done/what is still left.)

If authoring of new content will be allowed in any
langauge, this new content would flow somewhat
unpredictably from language to language depending on
the languages understood by the active translators.

/Jonas.