[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [haiku-doc] Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:38:35 +0100

Hi all,

First off, apologies for my delayed response. I'm ill and only get gradually better. But as you will see, I'm not able to add terribly much to the discussion anyway.

Jonas Sundström wrote:
I'm not disputing that gettext and po/pot work
for internationalization of software with sets
of unordered, unrelated sets of strings.

Translation of coherent texts can not and should
not be done by putting every sentence in some kind
of database or lookup file.

That's right, but from what I think I've seen, there was always the encompassing paragraph included, so it's not that bad. Also, when doing a translation, I would always have the original HTML open for reference. I guess everybody would do that, right?

The advantage I can see in po/pot is that for small changes here and there, it's a quick way to point out and fix.

Jonas Sundström wrote:
If authoring of new content will be allowed in any
langauge, this new content would flow somewhat unpredictably from language to language depending on
the languages understood by the active translators.

IMO it should be a requirement to do changes in the English version first. It should be the mother of all translations.

Personally, I think we should investigate into the direction of a translation-aware Drupal system. It's close to a wiki in concept and thus should only pose a minimal barrier to participation in contrast to things like new Docbook syntax and po/pot file editors etc. To have a bit more control, I think there should be one coordinator per translation who checks things before inserting it.
I'm not sure how good the managing of the different lanuage-version will be,
however.

It should be possible to export to HTML and maybe Docbook which can be put regularly into SVN and used when building images.

Someone is already looking into that, BTW. Maybe we'll know more soon.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de