[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [haiku-doc] Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:42:19 +0100

François Revol schrieb:
I think to get the ball rolling as you say, we should start with something simple, and use that as long as possible. As long as we are a tiny community with a very low amount of end user documentation, I guess we can also easily live with something simple that lowers the barrier for everyone wanting to get started to write docs. Like a Wiki; I would assume there is something usable out there for us that even supports getting converted to Docbook.

Btw, there are tools to deal with the .po format, including web interfaces for translators, so they do not need to know the format at all.

In any case, I think that HTML is not a very practical documentation source code format, although CSS considerably improves upon that.

What would be then ?

Besides page breaks (which can actually be forced by applying a style to specific <br> tags), what else is missing ? We can also special case stuff for printing (with the print media), like inlining acronyms as I did on my résumé.

We can even add our own url handlers to actually take action from within the help page (like sh:/boot/beos/preferences/Media to actually popup the panel). If done with caution (sudo-like whitelist + referer checking...) it would be helpful.

And we can use BeHappy to index it :p

I think you may be missing the point. Or I may be. But I thought nobody is discussing to drop HTML as the documentation format (anymore). But the discussion is whether HTML is the best format to write the documentation in. Maybe another workflow is more suitable, but in the end, the output of that workflow would be HTML again.

As for the discussion itself, I don't think I can contribute something meaningful. I tend to agree with Axel, if to the people involved, at the moment, direct HTML is the most convenient, then stick to that for the time being. If switching to a more involved method is doable and looks beneficial enough in the long run to do the work now and you have the time and motivation, then do that. I don't have experience with the process, so I would trust the people who are involved in other projects, but the tools available for Haiku would be a consideration for me.

Best regards,
-Stephan