[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [haiku-doc] Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:44:09 +0100 CET

> I think to get the ball rolling as you say, we should start with
> something simple, and use that as long as possible. As long as we are
> tiny community with a very low amount of end user documentation, I
> guess we can also easily live with something simple that lowers the
> barrier for everyone wanting to get started to write docs. Like a
> Wiki;
> I would assume there is something usable out there for us that even
> supports getting converted to Docbook.

Btw, there are tools to deal with the .po format, including web
interfaces for translators, so they do not need to know the format at

> In any case, I think that HTML is not a very practical documentation
> source code format, although CSS considerably improves upon that.

What would be then ?

Besides page breaks (which can actually be forced by applying a style
to specific <br> tags), what else is missing ?
We can also special case stuff for printing (with the print media),
like inlining acronyms as I did on my résumé.

We can even add our own url handlers to actually take action from
within the help page (like sh:/boot/beos/preferences/Media to actually
popup the panel).
If done with caution (sudo-like whitelist + referer checking...) it
would be helpful.

And we can use BeHappy to index it :p