[haiku-development] Re: Fwd from: [haiku] Re: Test for gsoc students

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:01:34 -0400

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1.   We need some sort of test to gauge whether or not a candidate
> seems to be capable of completing the task.

I think the test idea is a good one, and I would add at least one
other requirement:

- The students CANNOT BE TAKING ANY SUMMER CLASSES.

GSoC must be seen like a summer job to the student, and they need to
an amount of time appropriate for that. Would a student take an
internship at Microsoft while still taking summer classes? I doubt it,
and if they did, something would slip, and that something is probably
the internship. The same applies to GSoC. My student last year had a
full load of classes in the summer (something he did not communicate
when applying) and this resulted in him basically doing nothing for
the GSoC project. All because he thought he could "do it all." So I
learned my lesson.

Being a student in the GSoC who successfully completes a project is a
powerful resume-builder, and in this economic times everything helps.
So students need to see it for the priviledge it is, and not some side
project they are doing just for fun.

To conclude, we need to add a question in our student application
template that specifically ask whether the student is taking any
summer classes this summer and whether they plan to commit to their
GSoC project like a full-time job.

Regards,
Ryan