[haiku-development] Fwd: Re: Question : Haiku + Transmission

Seems this email strayed off the list.
Two more to follow

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: [haiku-development] Re: Question : Haiku + Transmission
To: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well he needs to know if he wants his software to be portable.
> Another option is to split the functions into *_ip4() and *_ip6()
> implemented in separate files...
>
> François.

Judging by the following discussion, Transmission's svn trunk is being
blocked by :
 - proper port of libnatpmp (part of MiniUPnP)
 - proper IPv6 implementation

At this point, I'm personally not pursuing any further discussions
with the Transmission dev team to implement conditional IPv6 support.

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/1682#comment:16 :  livings124  ¶
I don't think it's a good idea to complicate our code base to support
an incomplete operating system. Especially since your patch was
rejected by the maintainers of miniupnp, whose code we rely on.

[continued on irc.freenode.net#transmission]
[ livings124 = BentMyWookie ]

<mmadia> BentMyWookie what does refactoring the code to be more
portable for IP4 and IP6 have to do with MiniUPnP
<mmadia> i've state several times now that my MiniUPnP -hack-  is temporary.
<BentMyWookie> i mean that it doesn't matter if we refactor that code,
bc miniupnp won't work anyway
<mmadia> ok. then what about once a proper implementation for MiniUPnP
is completed?
<BentMyWookie> i think you should be working with the haiku people to
fix the problems with their os as opposed to us working around them
<mmadia> ok, so having the source code littered with #ifdef WIN32 and
#ifndef WIN32 is acceptable, where as restructing the codebase to
allow it to more portable to other OS's is unnacceptable?
<mmadia> also, i *never* asked any of the transmission devs to
implement any of the things discussed in the ticket.
<BentMyWookie> whoa, no reason to get bent out of shape
<BentMyWookie> windows is a finished operating system
<BentMyWookie> and is a major os
<BentMyWookie> as opposed to cluttering the code for something that's
not finished
<mmadia> sorry if i came across that way,  i just feel like you're
shutting haiku out simply because it doesn't support IPv6.
<BentMyWookie> there are multiple problems with haiku currently,
namely that it doesn't support ipv6 and miniupnp doesn't work
<BentMyWookie> and, as it's own devs stated, it doesn't support ipv6
bc it's not finished yet
<BentMyWookie> instead of transmission having to work around problem
with the incomplete os, it should be the other way around
<mmadia> port an OS to run your software.  ok. i don't think anything
useful can come out of this conversation.  I'm sorry to have wasted
your time.
<BentMyWookie> that's not what i was saying
<BentMyWookie> but the devs said they plan to add ipv6 afaict