[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: Haiku version

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:29:44 +0200

Le jeudi 28 juillet 2011 à 15:19 -0300, CarozoDeQuilmes a écrit :
> Hi, many thanks for your answer.  My English is limited, sorry.
> I have asked it in Port forum without success, therefore I ask here
> again.
> I'm porting my proyect to Haiku from Linux.  In Linux I have "uname"
> and "lsb_release" to get details about OS version from my program.
> In haiku lsb_release didn't work, therefore I made this thread

Haiku obviously doesn't have "lsb_release" since lsb means "Linux
Standard Base", and Haiku isn't Linux.

The most portable way to determine the version is indeed uname, it's
quite widespread, even Cygwin should have this, and it's what configure
scripts use to find the OS name.
uname -v will return the SVN revision currently.
uname -r should return the release number, but it seems to only return 1
for now, I think it should really return 1.0.0a3 or something instead...
On linux it returns a string like "2.6.32-33-generic".

To determine the release number you can also use such Haiku-specific
tools (after checking for the OS name with uname -s) like version :

version -s -n /system/lib/libroot.so

should give you something like:

1 0 0 a 3

François.