[haiku-development] Free Spellswell for developers, testers, technical writers &c.

  • From: Michael David Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 01:13:02 -0700

Anyone who, prior to the timestamp of this message, is a Haiku
repository committer, has attached a patch to Trac - even if it was
not accepted - filed a bug report in Trac, has written any
documentation or translations which are already published, was the
author of at least one web page on the Haiku-OS website...

... or has otherwise helped Haiku in some demonstrable manner...

... is welcome to a free-as-in-beer copy of Spellswell 1.0.6.

(Spellswell 1.0.5 was available for BeOS 5. I don't clearly recall
the price but I think it was $29.95.)

To claim your copy reply OFF-LIST and include one link to something
which demonstrates your entitlement - a Trac ticket, Subversion
revision number or what have you.

Spellswell is quite a featureful spellchecker as well as a Word
Services BMessage Suite server. Originally published by Green-Johnson
of Monterey California, at one time it was the second-most popular Mac
application. Dave Johnson bought out Mike Green's share to form
Working Software Inc. of Santa Cruz, where I was employed as the
Product Development Manager from 1991-1994. After leaving Working
Software I continued to consult part-time; during my consultancy I
ported Spellswell to BeOS.

A very crude, proof-of-concept prototype won Honorable Mention in the
Be Master's Awards. Perhaps had I waited until the next BeDC after
that it would have won the award itself and not just Honorable
Mention.

If you still have a copy of Spellswell 1.0.5 I expect it will run just
fine on any of Haiku's hybrid builds.

Spellswell 1.0.6 will be built with GCC 2. I am not yet clear whether
I can build it with the current GCC without flailing away on its
source code but quite likely I can.

Spellswell 1.1 will be a port to ZooLib, that is I will replace the
BeOS-native user interface widgets like BWindow with cross-platform
widgets like ZWindow. I expect it will still be Haiku/BeOS-only but
later on I will take it more-widely cross-platform.

Ever Faithful,

Mike
Michael David Crawford P.E., Consulting Process Architect
mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx
http://mike.soggywizard.com/

One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.