[haiku-development] Re: For a better autoraise

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Alexandre Deckner" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As has been mentioned several times on the mailing lists, the current
>> autoraise feature (as seen with Deskbar, but that should be standard/
>> shared) could be perfected. Well it's really annoying in fact ;)
>
> Agreed. One could also thing about introducing a window flag for this,
> though (like a B_AUTO_ACTIVATE_WINDOW).

+1 to a window flag.

Also, +1000 to making this code shared somehow. I hate all this code
duplication we have sometimes (like the window centering I will soon
fix.) Of course I come from the Ruby world where DRY (Don't Repeat
Yourself) is a mantra. Of course the autoraise isn't used as much as
window centering, but in general code duplication is bad.

>> I don't know if i'm clear, but i think it could satisfy everyone and is
>> pretty intuitive (shake to wake). A similar gesture could also be used to
>> mean "hurry-up" for autoscrolls in menus or (drag'n')drop autoscrolling.
>
> I wouldn't mind a hotkey either for scrolling, but in general, I think
> it's definitely worth a try, and would be intuitive to use, too.

Hotkeys are indeed good too (maybe something to jump 5 or 10 items
when autoscrolling, which is maybe also what the shaking could do.)

As for the autoraise, I would definitely like to see Alexandre's idea
prototyped. In fact it would be nice if you could make the shake be
the first of maybe more mouse gestures. So in other words maybe the
"shake detection" could go into some sort of MouseGestures.cpp?

Also I would recommend taking a look at mmu_man's AutoRaise code to
get the useful bits.

Ryan