[haiku-development] Re: Font Encoding

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:48:00 +0100

On 2011-02-16 at 12:06:48 [+0100], pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > But isn't the buffer passed to the convert* functions supposed to be
> > 0-terminated eventually?
>
> Looks like that's how it's meant to work in the Be Book.
> http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/TheSupportKit_Functions.html#convert_to_utf8

Maybe I'm misreading the sentence, but my interpretation is that
null-characters don't
have any special meaning:

  "Neither function stops at a null terminator ('0') when reading the input
buffer nor
adds one to the text in the output buffer; they depend only on sourceLength and
destinationLength for guidance."

I would interpret that as null-characters being converted just like any other
character.
The "nor adds one to the text in the output buffer" part I would read as not
adding an
*extra* terminating null-char.

CU, Ingo