[haiku-development] Filesystem API documentation

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:05:45 +0200

(This message is crossposted on haiku-doc and haiku-development. It is
posted on haiku-doc as an announcement only, discussion on
haiku-development.)

Hi guys,

I have updated the filesystem API documentation Ingo started to
reflect the latest version. I've added as much information as I could,
based on the bfs and dosfs source. Basically, all the entries in
http://factory.haiku-os.org/documentation/Haiku_Book_doxygen/html/structfile__system__module__info.html
with the brief description "Undocumented: TODO" need to be documented.
I could not figure those out. The rest of the document needs to be
made consistent, but first I'd like to have everything documented.

Other points:

- Are there any other changes coming up? I remember Axel and Ingo
agreeing on changing the fs_cookie, fs_vnode and fs_volume typedefs to
something that did not hide they were 'void *' objects.
- Also, there are a few notify functions that are documented as
deprecated, but what will come in place?
- In which hooks should file system developers use the vnode functions
in fs_interface.h?
- And, last but not least, did I forget anything important. I did not
dive into the vfs layer, because it looks far too complex. Are there
any hooks that should return specific error codes?

Thanks for the hints,

Niels