[haiku-development] Re: File Open/Save Dialog Edit menu

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 16:25:41 -0400

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM, looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/14/2013 11:05, Humdinger wrote:
>>
>> Maybe the Tracker window menu "Window" should be copied (sans the "Close
>> in all workspaces" and "Preferences..."). Not a bad idea to offer also "Icon
>> view" and "Mini icon" view, and maybe someday "Thumbnail view". While we're
>> at it, the "Attributes" menu would fit in as well...

I already feel that the Preferences... item is misplaced in the Window
menu as the preferences contained there-in apply not to a specific
window, but to all of Tracker. I've brought that up previously in a
different thread.

The idea of adding a Window menu to the open/save dialog is a good
idea, of course that would mean that you'd also have to implement the
ability to switch to different modes as well.

Adding the Attributes menu also makes a lot of sense. You can already
right click on the title bar to bring up the menu, so, there's no
reason not to include the menu in the window's menu bar.

> I see no problem with providing quick mouse-driven access to VERY common
> operations.  I disagree with putting them in an 'Edit' menu. I'd rather see
> it in 'File' or just have an 'Action' menu (rename File)...

As Axel pointed out, these items are provided in a context menu on the
text box. This seems like a pretty good compromise.

If these items were to be provided in this window's menu bar the
correct place to put them would be in an Edit menu, no reason to
invent new vocabulary, not just no reason, there is good reason NOT to
invent new vocabulary as the inconsistency would hamper the user's
ability to learn by association when using similar functionality in
different apps.

> Action/File -> Undo, Redo, DIVIDER, Select All, Select None, DIVIDER, Copy,
> Cut, Paste, DIVIDER, etc...
>
> The entries should be dynamic - Select None is only visible when there is a
> selection, Undo/Redo only visible when there are actions related to the
> dialog window to be undone/redone, Paste only visible if a file is in the
> clipboard, copy/cut only selected if a file or folder is selected, etc...

It sounds like you're on the right track here, but, just to nitpick,
it is poor UI to hide menu items, if the item doesn't apply in a
situation the correct thing to do is to disable the item giving it a
greyed out appearance. By hiding the items you also hide the fact that
the option is possible in another state removing the user's ability to
learn by cause and effect. I'm not sure that a 'Select none' option is
needed, but I wouldn't be opposed to adding it if you feel that it is
worthwhile.