[haiku-development] Re: Feasibility of a 64-bit port?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:20:31 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since Itanium is a 64-bit platform, how
> > complex would it be to run Haiku on a 64-bit architecture? I'm
> > assuming at
> > minimum quite a bit of code relies on things like specific datatype
> > sizes.
> I believe the kernel is in not too bad a shape with respect to 64 bit
> safeness, and off the top of my head I wouldn't expect that many
> problems
> with Be API code either. I'm not sure about ported code, but most of
> it
> isn't that old and should be 64 bit aware already. Maybe a few
> "config.h"s
> have to be adjusted. Our (partially) old glibc may or may not give
> trouble.
>
> However, while I'm sure there is a bit of code that isn't 64 bit safe
> yet,
> the architecture porting part will be by far the main work.

Indeed, I would expect the main problems with porting drivers
(especially their DMA stuff) to 64 bit.
We have started a new DMA resources codebase in the kernel that is
already used for some of the disk I/O, and the idea was to have that
one provide 32/64 bit support transparently, and without much headache.
But despite the fact that it doesn't really do that yet, most drivers
will still have to be ported to use that API.

Bye,
   Axel.