[haiku-development] Re: FatELF on Haiku?

  • From: Hervé W. <h_o_w_@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:17:36 +0100

> Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:50:54 +0100
> From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx

> We definitely don't want to support all of them. And FatELF is not
> needed to do so anyway. Look at mplayer under linux : at runtime it
> will detect CPU abilities and replace some parts of the code
> (time-critical sections) with optimized ones. There is no need to
> duplicate the whole code in a FatELF binary.

I thought of that argument, but mplayer (and ffmpeg's libavcodec) can do that
because they have inline asm implementations of the relevant functions. On
Haiku the situation would usually be more like telling the compiler which
cpu-type you have and letting it figure out how to optimize.

-V

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop