[haiku-development] FatELF on Haiku?

  • From: Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:05:37 +0200

I guess most people here probably noticed the latest noise around FatELF on Linux -and the way it was turned down [1]. When I read what Ryan did, I immediately thought "hey this would be GREAT on Haiku!".

One might ship a single binary application that would include x86, x86_64,ARM -and perhaps even subarches of these, like plain i386 versions alongside i686+SSE3 optimized versions- etc. I found that the FatELF concept fits Haiku much better than it does Linux, so perhaps we -well the Haiku devs- should contact Ryan and help him see the light -ie. there is no reason to keep working on Linux anymore :D.

What do others -and esp. the Haiku devs- think about this?

Konstantinos

[1]: http://www.osnews.com/story/22446/Ryan_Gordon_Halts_FatELF_Project