[haiku-development] Re: FFmpeg and licensing

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:31:59 +0200

On 16/07/2014 09:07, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>> On July 16, 2014 at 12:55 AM "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You know what would make more sense, email the ffmpeg developers and ask them
>> to reliscence
>> to a BSD or MIT type liscence, this way ,this kind of stupidity can be
>> avoided
>> for all projects
>> in the future.
>
> And while we're at it, we should also ask the two or so Linux developers to
> relicense their code to MIT, as it's really annoying that we can't include it
> in
> Haiku. Really, the sooner this stupidity ends the better.

Well, in a perfect world, everything would be GPL so it wouldn't matter ;-)

For those who care about controlling their machine rather than being
controlled by it, and in light of revelations from people like Snowden
it's something really desirable, using Free Software is the only
possible option, but things like "open core" or "freemium" which look
like FLOSS but require the use of blobs for anything serious, or even
binary-only drivers that act as a black box, are a plague that must
disappear. Hence they use licenses like GPL as a weapon to try to shield
themselves from proprietary stuff. Not always very effective and often
annoying to others, but it's definitely useful sometimes.

François.