[haiku-development] Re: External package woes (was What to do with termcap?)

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:25:43 +0100

Hi,

Am 01.02.2013 08:19, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
Landon J Fuller wrote:
I'd personally find a lot of value in being able to very easily automatically
build the full OS, using the toolchain configured for the purpose (including
cross-compilation).

Being able to automate as much as possible is certainly desirable. I doubt that
we will be able to build the whole OS from the scratch automatically anytime
soon, though. One major problem is that many software packages cannot be
cross-built by default (even something as fundamental as bash falls into that
category). Making/hacking them so that they can be cross-built is likely quite
a lot of one-time and continuous maintenance work. I think it is more realistic
that we get cross-building support going for the minimal set of software
packages required to do native builds. A fully automatic OS build would then
involve building most software in a VM.

Ok, but the work to make packages cross compilable was already done by integrating them into the Haiku source tree build system. That work (and feature) gets wasted by externalizing them again.

I don't understand the argument about it slowing down the builds. In >99% of the cases, you have to build the objects only the first time.

Best regards,
-Stephan