[haiku-development] Re: External package woes (was What to do with termcap?)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:44:47 +0100 (CET)

On February 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM Landon Fuller <landonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got most of the project building with a fatelf-enable GCC front-end
> driver today, which
> means I can't put off the problem much further.

Nice :-)

> From there, I'd like to meet Jonathan Schleifer in the middle on clang, and
> have a short-list
> of tool-related improvements I'd like to work on.

One short-term compromise I could think of is using a similar mechanism as 3rd
party, and optionally let the build system download the known sources + Haiku
build patches (or even source complete packages), and build them as part of the
build system as it was done before externalizing them.
This would probably be required to be done during Haiku's configure script, so
that Jam can then work with those packages.

Of course, this would duplicate the package maintaining effort. But maybe it's a
viable solution until a proper one comes along, as the Haiku specific
config.h/Jamfile for those packages usually already exist from prior work (but
note that the generated config.h might be target dependent as well).

Bye,
   Axel.