[haiku-development] Re: External package woes (was What to do with termcap?)

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:50:16 -0500

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

>I am aware that it may sound like I mean we should put everything into
> >the Haiku tree and have no external packages at all. I don't think
> >that's a good idea either, but I specifically wonder about those
> >build-dependency packages.
>
> Keeping them in the tree is a mess IMO. These packages are usually also
> needed as dependencies of other packages, so we end up having to reproduce
> their build systems' installation procedure and once we go PM even build
> packages for them from out of our tree.

Would it be possible to modify the build system to grab and build a package
from a haikuport instead of grabbing a pre-build binary since the haikuport
package already "reproduce[s[ their build systems' installation procedure"
in the bep file and is already "out of tree"?

A few more questions:

What relation does current build system have to haikuports if any?

What relation does haikuports have to the future proposed package
management system if any?