[haiku-development] Re: Expanding Haiku partition

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:19:43 -0800

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM, CarozoDeQuilmes
<carozodequilmes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I expanded the virtual disk by VMWare tool to 2GB but Haiku don't use
> the extra space.

Correct, because expanding a disk is not the same as expanding a
partition, and expanding a partition is not the same as expanding a
filesystem.

> There is any software to expand the primary partition from Haiku ?

Not yet, but it's currently in our list of GSoC 2011 ideas:

http://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc/2011/ideas

(See: "BFS Partition Resizer")

What I would recommend is creating a new virtual disk, initializing it
with DriveSetup, and using the Installer to install your existing
setup to it. Note: I only recommend doing this with a version of Haiku
> r40820 as there was a nice addition to the Installer that copies
indexes to the target partition now ;)

- Urias