[haiku-development] Re: Dropping intel_gart (and agp_gart)

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:52:58 +0100

Am 03/11/2015 um 04:25 schrieb Alexander von Gluck IV:

I wanted to collect some thoughts on dropping agp_gart.

intel_express is still lugging around agp_gart for modern chipsets.

Classic Intel AGP chipsets exist as PCI devices with an extra
layer to speed up transfers. Without agp_gart the bus simply operates
at the slower pci speeds.[1]

We've been carrying around agp_gart a bit longer than we should of
as intel_extreme performs all of its gtt work through agp_gart.

Since us leveraging 3d hardware rendering on classic Intel AGP
chipsets doesn't seem likely, i'd personally like to see agp_gart
disappear as it layers on lots of added complexity.

If I were to rip out agp_gart (and still have a functional
intel_extreme driver) would anyone care?

I don't see how it could work otherwise. The intel_gart driver just programs the GTT to let the driver access main memory -- there isn't anything else to it. It isn't AGP specific at all, it just happens to offer the same API AFAICT.
I'm not aware of any other method to map the graphics memory for Intel chipsets, but please care to enlighten me.

Bye,
Axel.