[haiku-development] Re: Driver loading

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:24:35 +0200 CEST

Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Update: the cause of the prevented reloading, doesn't lie in the used
> directory (whether user or system) but whether you put the real
> driver-bin there or just symlink. Until now my setup symlinked the
> generated driver from the generated/.../atheros directory to the
> user...bin and then from user...bin to user..dev/net. And this setup
> didn't work out. Now I'm copying over the whole driver bin and this
> works.

Symlinks are indeed problematic: when you overwrite their target file,
the update mechanism should work (as it is node based). However, if you
delete the file first, and then recreate it, it's probably lost, and
won't be noticed any longer - this could be fixed, though, by noticing
if the watched entry is deleted in another directory (it currently is
only noticed when it happens in the actual driver directory).
I guess I'll have a look at that :-)

Bye,
   Axel.