[haiku-development] Re: Driver development - how to install a new driver

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Christian Packmann
<Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to develop a driver in the "normal" way, i.e. outside the Haiku
> source tree. I based the source on the misc/poke driver. I use the
> Jamfile-engine from
> http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/the_art_of_jamming_all_parts . The
> driver builds okay, but when I try to install it the old BeOS way with the
> following shell script:
>
> cp obj.X86/intel_therm /boot/home/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin
> pushd /boot/home/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev
> ln -sf ../bin/intel_therm .
> popd
> rescan intel_therm
>
> it doesn't show up in /dev. Has this installation mechanism changed in
> Haiku? I didn't find any information about this in the driver articles on
> the homepage, so I'm a bit stumped ATM.

Just curious, have you tried having your driver log to syslog when its
hooks get called? That would confirm whether or not the OS is
attempting to do anything with it, as it could also not be getting
published due to some error while loading.

Regards,

Rene