[haiku-development] Re: Driver development - how to install a new driver

Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to develop a driver in the "normal" way, i.e. outside the
> Haiku source tree. I based the source on the misc/poke driver. I use the
> Jamfile-engine from
> http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/the_art_of_jamming_all_parts . The
> driver builds okay, but when I try to install it the old BeOS way with
> the following shell script:
>
> cp obj.X86/intel_therm /boot/home/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin pushd
> /boot/home/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev ln -sf ../bin/intel_therm .
> popd
> rescan intel_therm
>
> it doesn't show up in /dev. Has this installation mechanism changed in
> Haiku? I didn't find any information about this in the driver articles on
> the homepage, so I'm a bit stumped ATM.
>
> Any hints for solving this would be appreciated.

It's supposed to work like this anyways, but I don't know if you have hit a
bug or unimplemented functionality. Maybe Axel would be best to comment on
this one, just wanted to let you know that it's still intended to work like
this.

Best regards,
-Stephan