[haiku-development] Re: Downloading gcc?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:17:15 -0800

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, something I haven't been able to understand from browsing: what
> exactly is an 'anyboot' image?  I gather from one post I found that it
> has both raw and ISO images.  The one I dowloaded a while back, though,
> seems to be much the same size as a raw image, so what does than mean?

It's kinda hard to explain :)

It contains the proper bits to look like an ISO image to the BIOS
allowing it to be burned to a CD (note, however, that it actually
includes a BFS disk image for the OS, not ISO + overlay like the real
ISO type image), but it also contains an MBR to look like a hard disk
image (and thus, can be dd'd to an HD or USB stick and the BIOS will
boot it just fine).

This is similar a funny trick that some Linux distros use (such as
Moblin) which allows the same image downloaded to be burned as CD or
written to a USB stick without any further fiddling with the file. In
my testing, it works great on USB sticks - but I have only done
limited testing with CDs.

- Urias