[haiku-development] Re: Downloading gcc?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:04:03 -0800

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 07:01:43AM -0500, Matt Madia wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2010, pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:25:10PM -0800, pete.goodeve@computer.
>
> >>    GCC version 2.95.3-haiku-100818 is required!
> >>    Please download it from www.haiku-os.org...

> >                             You can download a new one from
> > http://www.haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/ . I don't know why
> > this page isn't linked anywhere, it's quite useful.

Thanks for the link -- found the right gcc there.

> Here's an older thread about that URL.  Basically, prior to
> installiptoonalpackage, it was standard operating procedure for end
> users to navigate that directory and try to pick the right file to
> install.

I do think that this page should be linked to *somewhere* -- presumably
on the dev page.  It would seem to be needed for occasions like this!

> [....]
> For instance, even if Pete extracted the correct gcc archive, his
> issue most likely wouldn't be fixed.  In build/jam/OptionalPackages
> and friends, there is usually more commands than merely extracting the
> archive -- mkdir, symlink creation , etc.

I got the build jamming, but...:

> In this case specifically, Pete may even need to manually update his
> system headers. Installing a new revision of Haiku would be easiest.

This does seem to a problem.  It failed trying to create MakeBootable,
because B_PARAMETER_EDITOR_TYPE doesn't exist in my DiskDeviceDefs.h.
Is there a good reason why the build doesn't just use its own headers,
as the correct ones are all there?

I guess I'll try just moving the standard boot/develop/headers aside,
and linking to the build versions.  I'd rather install a built version
than download a current image.

Which brings up another question that I'll ask in advance(!):
Is there a way to install directly from an image file, rather than
dd'ing it to a USB stick?  (Don't have a CD burner -- sorry to be
so out-of-date (:-/)

Also, something I haven't been able to understand from browsing: what
exactly is an 'anyboot' image?  I gather from one post I found that it
has both raw and ISO images.  The one I dowloaded a while back, though,
seems to be much the same size as a raw image, so what does than mean?

Thanks,
        -- Pete --