[haiku-development] Re: Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 08:40:06 +0200

On 1 May 2015 at 21:52, Earl Pottinger <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What do I do with my programs that are zip files?

I think the goal is for hpkgs to become the usual means of
distribution. They are easiest to update and maintain and very
comfortable for the end user because there's a description included
and un/installation is cleanly done with one click.

If you don't care about that, zip archives still work, but are
comparably messy and complicated for the end user.

But the proposed webstore is a means to at least make the distribution
of those zip archives easier and centralized as well. It'd make it
possible to have an "Archive Corner" as well as a proper "Package
Corner" at a website.

This flexibility of a website is the big advantage of such a web based
service that I see. Using common web technologies makes it easier for
many to work on solutions, compared to C++ coding the Haiku API to
include ever more features into HaikuDepot.
It makes it possible to have people coming up with various frontends
on the web that cater to different needs (e.g. the "Archive Corner),
while still interfacing at the backend with the centralized repos.

Regards,
Humdinger

--
Did you know: