[haiku-development] Re: Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 22:05:23 +0200

On 02.05.2015 19:26, Jim Saxton wrote:

You just repackage them. It's actually pretty simple, and so much nicer
for your users.
The more interesting issue is, however, where to put them. And that one
hasn't been solved yet AFAIK. An alternative repository is a role
Haikuware could have adopted, but Karl's plans were apparently something
else.

This all depends on the programs being accepted into haikudepot. This
is a big barrier to entry as the haikudepot gate-keepers are extreemly
nit-picky with any recipe that is not created by them. Another case of
needing to be in the club.

There's a very good reason for being strict with respect to the requirements on recipes: Bad recipes will result in bad packages which in turn will result in inconsistent package repositories and bad user experiences. Since the dependency resolution process has to work repository-wide and library installations are system-wide, a broken package can easily have effects beyond the respective software not working correctly.

What we need is a community run and maintained site that is devorced
from HikuDepot and is not part of the HAIKU team, but haiku app devs
that want to have a more friendly experiance.

Until the owner took it down, Haikuware was sort-of filling this role,
but moving ahead on plans like this will not do the job. too many
gate-keepers too much overhead, too many hoops to jump through to
publish your software. I say, let it go and let the community find a
solution not tied to haikuports and the haikudepot web structure, they
will.

I totally agree that we need a software "dump" like BeBits/Haikuware. That way we can keep HaikuPorts/HaikuDepot reasonably well maintained, while Joe Blow can still publish his software without much thinking. That hopefully also make things clearer for users.

CU, Ingo