[haiku-development] Re: Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 02:59:18 +1200

If the webstore would retrieve all the data from HDS to present them on
the web, it's exactly a parallel effort to HDS.

Adding a link to HDS to be able to install the packages directly would be
close to no work at all. Forking Ubuntu's store, retrieving all the data
from HDS, synchronize ratings/comments/user logins, etc. would be a huge
effort. For nothing else, AFAICT than a prettier interface.

Why not just make HDS's look/UI more consumer ready instead? That would
be far easier, and could get done much faster.

Is HaikuDepot Server meant to be used by end users to discover applications?

End users don't really care about libraries and command line tools, they
only care about the GUI applications that depend on them. I doubt that most
people on this list would allow non-GUI apps to hidden in HDS as an option,
led alone hidden by default.

Would it be permissible to change the front page looking something like
this: http://i.imgur.com/AZDYwxF.jpg ?
Or the rows styled like this: http://i.imgur.com/jyjyevi.jpg ?

Would these types of changes not negatively affect HaikuDepot Server's
primary goal to manage the packages and their metadata?

Regardless of whether Ubuntu Apps were borrowed or a new webapp was coded,
my proposal was an application catalogue with information pulled (I never
said anything about syncing, logging in or editing of package metadata)
from HaikuDepot Server. This allows HDS to focus on being a server and a
binary repository manager and the other website to just be a catalog that
retrieves it's information from the HDS.

-
Richard.